Monday, December 6, 2010

A rather unusual bit of deepish-ness.

[ninety]
My new awesome coat =) Now I just need a hat, scarf and gloves to compliment it.
Something one of my Flickr contacts wrote that was *very* good. Check it out.

I've been reading Herodotus for school, and something we discussed in class struck me. When Herodotus says that "custom is king of all,” he means that culture entirely defines people. It takes over our thinking and makes us who we are. And this is entirely true for almost everyone. However, as Christians, our culture should not define us. The Bible, Christ should define us. We should have Christ like thinking rather than American like thinking. We will always have certain parts of us that will be placed there by the culture, but even these must be checked and double checked against the Bible time and again. How do we do this? I believe a large part of it is permeating ourselves in the thinking of Christ. Read your Bible, inhale His word, check what the culture says against what He says. I am not saying that all culture in the way I have been speaking of it is a bad thing; the only way to escape it would be to live entirely secluded by yourself, and that would be a bad thing. Culture is a good thing in its place, but we must make sure that it agrees with the Bible.

Just one last thing: where have all my commenters gone? I miss them ='(

2 comments:

  1. Interesting point... I agree. I don't think we should let culture take over, because sometimes culture is not a good influence. However I think culture sometimes is very good! I think as Christians we should be opened minded, but yet have strong core values. Sorry about the dry spell of comments... I had friends over for the weekend and was unable to post... thats why my blog didn't have any posts until last night :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right... I totally didn't mean that we should write culture off. That's ok.. :)

    ReplyDelete