Thursday, May 5, 2011

Today Grandma and Papa John worked the whole herd. I have to say, that was a long day. Even with five of us, it was a lot to do!

Around 8:30 or so we saddled up and rode up to the North Field to get the herd, but first we had to move the bulls. They were certainly going at it today! Mr. Barr told us that when bulls are fighting, to watch out for the loser, because he'll do everything he can to get away from the other, and won't mind running over you in the process. It was raining and kind of windy, and I got pretty chilled, but after we got in it warmed up pretty quickly.
We ran the calves first; I branded and gave wormer, and held the calves heads so grandma could shoot the transplants into their ears. One small problem is I gave the oral wormer before grandma gave the transplants, and when I pushed their heads up against the shoot with my hip, they slobbered wormer all over me! Hahaha.... I was a mess. Samantha gave shots and was doing anything else she could, John ran the headgate, Mr. Barr pushed, Papa John weighed the calves, and grandma gave more shots.
Branding is... interesting. There are several different reactions to it. Number one is to throw your head around and beller, but mostly be pretty still. 2 is to throw a royal fit. Not so fun. 3 is to sink down...down.. in despair. Till we can't reach. And have to take the squeeze off and get them back up, and usually repeat the process a couple times. And 4 is to do a nose dive. Haha.. "Bottoms up!" That one is actually pretty handy, because they can't move around too much, and the area for branding is right within reach.
After we did the calves, we went in for lunch, which was DELICIOUS. Dahh.. it was sooo good, with layered salad, green beans, roast, gravy, and... ICE cream :D YUM. Then we went back out to do the cowies. I ended up going back and pushing with Mr Barr. I think that was my first time pushing.. maybe second. It was ok :)  We didn't talk very much.. but it was nice having the company.
We finished up around 3:30 and then had to take them all back. I hate to admit it, but... I was saddlesore from the morning's ride! Shameful. Anyway, by the time we got back it was 5:00. Long day. I'm tired. And dad's been gone all day getting his teeth fixed... which reminds me... It's his BIRTHDAY!!! As Mr. Schubert says, "Happy Cinco deLano!" haha... (Lane is my dad's name) Anway... I haven't really gotten to see him today yet. *waves* Happy birthday, Daddy!
When we got home, Sylvia was stirring the orange juice and spilled the *whole pitcher* on the floor. *sigh* She went to her room and fell asleep on our bed.

Some favorite quotes from today (working cattle always provides some of those, haaha.)
Grandma: "GOOD. GRIEF. We've got dogs eating cat food, and cats eating dog food, and chickens eating both!" -very true. It's a sad state of affairs, but what do you do about it? (Rhetorical question.. in case you were wondering)
Mr. Barr: "Somebody's going to have to scoot that creek over someday... it's going to get in the way of that corner." -haha...
(Speaking about his missing bull) "I think it crawled into so and so's pasture." -just the thought of a bull crawling is... hilarious.
[two twenty nine]
5.5.11
When you're too tired.. and sore to do anything.. clouds are
nice. Because I didn't have to *go* take pictures.. I snapped some from
the car on our way home.
And, just for you, a classic quote from my grandpa that wasn't said today, but is too funny not to relate. He's about 6'3 and has REALLY long arms and legs. I asked him to open a gate, and he said, "..Well... Hang on! My arms aren't long enough!" -hahah.. we really got a kick out of that one.

1 comment:

  1. Oh: Almost forgot a quote :) During our lunch break someone called for Mr Barr, and Papa John always turns it on speaker phone because it's easier for him to hear that way. After he answered the phone, he didn't change it so Mr Barr used it on speaker phone. When the call was over, Papa John said, "I guess I should have turned it off of speaker phone so you could have a private conversation... who called?" HAHAHA... Papa John is so funny :) He wasn't trying to be funny at all, either, just being himself! Lol..

    ReplyDelete