Tuesday, May 10, 2011

[strength vs weakness]

[two thirty four]
5.10.11
I didn't have much time for a
picture today.. I was working on the last
paper of the school year. Which might be coming soon
to a blog near you. It depends. ;)



I was thinking today about 'strength' and 'weakness.' In one sense, we humans have a tendency to want to do everything for ourselves. We don't want to depend on God, because that would be 'weak.' We don't want to have someone else running our lives. We don't want to feel like we're not in control. We want to be independent and feel 'strong.' But that's not what God wants for us. He wants us to be 'weak' in Him. He wants us to be dependent on Him, to turn the controls over to Him, not because He's a control freak, but because He loves us and He alone knows what is truly best for us.
So I looked up some Bible verses on strength, weakness, and trust. Because to be 'weak' in Him, we must trust Him.
"The Lord is my strength and my shield; My heart trusts in Him, and I am helped." Psalm 18:7
"God is our refuge and our strength, a very present help in time of trouble." Psalm 46:1
"He gives strength to the weary, and to him who lacks might He increases power." Isaiah 40:29
"...The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak." Mark 14:38
"We are fools for Christ's sake, but you are prudent in Christ; we are weak, but you are strong; you are distinguished, but we are without honor." 1 Corinthians 4:10 Notice here that he is *rebuking* the Corinthians for their strength, for their honor, for their prudence, because they were not resting in Christ, not giving Him their all. They were holding these things above Him.
"Listen to me, O Judah and inhabitants of Jerusalem, put your trust in the Lord your God, and you will be established." 2 Chronicles 20:20
"It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man." I don't know about you.. but I'm part of mankind. Doesn't it seem better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in yourself? Or anyone else for that matter?
"...That we should not trust in ourselves, but in God, who raises the dead." 2 Corinthians 1:9
And here is a quote that is related to this topic from the book I'm reading, "The Unselfishness of God."
"What would you think of people who should trust Christ in this intermittent way for the salvation of the souls-who should one week realize their own powerlessness to do anything towards it, and should therefore trust it altogether and wholly to the Lord, but should the next week try to do it partly themselves, asking His help to make up what was lacking in their own efforts? Would not such a course seem to you utterly foolish and inconsistent? And yet is it not equally inconsistent, and equally dishonoring to the Lord, for you to trust Him for your daily living in this intermittent way, sometimes walking by faith, and sometimes by your own efforts?"
I could mention many other passages but these are sufficient. I think God wants us to be strong, but only when that strength is given by Him. Any other kind of strength is not true strength but pride, or... pride :) Basically. That's what prevents us from asking for His strength, rather than leaning on our own.

Thoughtfully,
Shaina

P.S. PLEASE please, leave your thoughts in the little box below. Pretty? Please? I will.. appreciate it. I might even do a little dance.

P.P.S All emphasis in scripture added by yours truleh. 

3 comments:

  1. Vera nice, Shaina. Me likey this. :)

    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree, Shaina, and am blessed by your contemplations. =) A theologian I really appreciate, Andrew Murray, has a really good book out called "Humility" (which has been so wonderful for me, as I have struggled so much with my pride), and he writes that humility is simply a recognition of things as they really are: we as being weak, needy, and unable, and God as being completely, unshakably, unchangably holy, and without need for what we humans can offer up to Him with our frail hands. I just find such a lasting delight in comparing myself with Him, when I remember that His righteousness and strength is in every way sufficient for me! He is so beautiful in His "raiment of glory", and still He has made His home in our weak hearts! What wonder. =) Tell all hello for us!

    Much love,
    Bekah Parish

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks girls. I will definitely do that Bekah!!

    ReplyDelete