Tuesday, December 20, 2011

[what i've been reading/watching]

                                             Reading:

-Taking Flight by Elisabeth Elliot. Got it from our home church host in a box of books. Read the first entry and decided to add it to my daily devotions. Read the second and decided to write a blog post about it. It's comprised of short words of wisdom from Mrs. Elliot, put together for graduates. I've only read the first two entries but it's very good so far.  
-The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny. A fantasy series. My dad read them when he was my age and then my brother recently started reading them. I started the first book and really enjoyed it. It's very much un-cliched, though many of the fantasy books can be. 
-The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I figured I should find out what all the fuss was about. I liked it ok, but I'm not caught up in the rage over it. I will say that it was very suspenseful, haha and hard to put down. I'll probably read the next ones if I have nothing else on my list. And I might watch the movie after it comes out on dvd. We shall see :) 


                                           Watching:
-North and South. Grandma snagged this and watched it with Papa John. While working on the project, I watched it and she rewatched it, haha. It was quite good, not a favorite of mine but I did enjoy it. I think I'd probably enjoy watching it a second time, as I know the characters better now. It starts out a little slow, but Mr. Thornton's accent is wonderful. :) Oh yes, and Esther from Bleak House has a small part in it! I love her so much, her character (and her portrayal of that character)  in Bleak House is one of my favorites ever.
-Horatio Hornblower. I must confess, I'm a huge fan of the British Miniseries. And this one particularly. Rewatching this (also while working on the project.... YES there will be a post about it soon) I noticed how young Horatio was when he started out! Also Horatio is brilliant, but like many of them, would be terrible to be married to. He was married to his ship. He is still a tremendously loveable character, not to mention Archie, Mr. Bush, and many others. I really really love this series, and I highly recommend it. Though definitely not  a chick flick, I still enjoy it immensely. Normally I don't like war movies, but this one has more to do with the people than the fighting, so I really enjoyed it.
-Sherlock. Also rewatched this series recently... It's great. The cinematography is wonderful, and the writers did a tremendous job with it. I normally am quite a purist, but they definitely made the modern day setting work. I can't wait for the next season of it! Also, the actor that plays Watson is playing Bilbo in The Hobbit, and that gives me great hope for the movie. I think he'll be perfect for it. 




                                     Also on my list:
-The Bourne Identity. Snagged this one from our host as well. I've watched the movies, and enjoyed it but am not a huge fan. But I hear that the books are very very different? Maybe I'll enjoy it. Dad said the first book is the only one worth reading. 
-Til We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis. I've read this before. But it was before GB and I have a feeling it will mean more to me now. It's definitely intriguing. 
-The New Jane Eyre movie :) Sam and I are gonna watch it tonight. I love the actor that plays St. John, so I'm excited. Well, and I love the story. But from the trailer I've seen it almost looks like a carbon copy of the 2006 version (my favorite so far)

2 comments:

  1. Shaina, I'll have to read "Taking Flight" one of these days! And I LOVED North and South. His accent is perfectly splendid, of course, but I tend to like dark and dramatic movies more than the happy-happy ones. I'm weird. Of course it did end very well.
    ~Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, no I agree. I'm a big fan of the Masterpiece Theater Dicken's productions, especially Bleak House (that's dark for ya, haha) and Little Dorrit....and Our Mutual Friend..and the list goes on and on. Like I said, I think I would enjoy N&S more the second time around.
      In my mind, however, no other period romance can compare to Sense and Sensibility and Jane Eyre :D

      Delete